radiomuseum.org
Please click your language flag. Bitte Sprachflagge klicken.

Musée royal de l'Armée et d'Histoire Militaire - Royal Army and Military History Museum

1000 Brüssel/ Bruxelles / Brussel, Belgium (Bruxelles-Capitale)

Address Parc du Cinquantenaire 3
 
 
Floor area unfortunately not known yet  
 
Museum typ Exhibition
Military Museum in general
  • Architecture
  • Air and Space (aviation, spaceflight etc.)


Opening times
Tuesday - Friday: 9am - 5pm; Weekend and School holidays: 10am - 6pm

Admission
Status from 08/2014
Free entry.

Contact
Tel.:+32-2 737-78 33  Fax:+32-2 737-78 02  
eMail:infocom klm-mra.be   

Homepage www.klm-mra.be

Our page for Musée royal de l'Armée et d'Histoire Militaire - Royal Army and Military History Museum in Brüssel/ Bruxelles / Brussel, Belgium, is not yet administrated by a Radiomuseum.org member. Please write to us about your experience with this museum, for corrections of our data or sending photos by using the Contact Form to the Museum Finder.

Location / Directions
N50.840865° E4.393356°N50°50.45190' E4°23.60136'N50°50'27.1140" E4°23'36.0816"

Bus:

22, 27, 80 Mérode stop: 10 minute walk 12,21,22,36 60,79 Schumann stop: 10 minute walk

Tram:

81,83: Mérode stop: 10 minute walk

Subway:

81,61 halte Merode: 10 minute walk

Metro:

Mérode or Schumann stops
1 Gare de l’ouest: 10 minute walk
5 Erasme: 10 minute walk

Train:

* At Midi, North or Central stations: take the train to Bruxelles Schumann (direction of Liège, Namur, Ottignies,…)
* Etterbeek, Ottignies, Louvain, Namur… to Bruxelles Midi, North, Central. Schumann stop: 10 minute walk
* Coming from Antwerp to Hal via Vilvoorde or coming from Mechelen/Malines to Hal or Bruxelles Luxembourg
Mérode stop: 10 minute walk

Bike:

Bike lane all around the Jubilee Park, biking is also possible within the park boundaries.
Access by way of Rue de la Loi, Avenue de Tervuren, Rue champ du Roi, Rue Gérard, Rue Hobbema

By car:

* E40 from Liège : follow Bruxelles centre, take Reyers tunnel, Avenue Cortenbergh, turn left in the Rue Leonard da Vinci, left Avenue de la Renaissance, follow the park- Avenue de l’Yser, Avenue des Gaulois. The park entrance is situated on the right Avenue des Gaulois.
* E40 from Ostend via ring and follow Bruxelles centre.
* E19 from Tournai or Antwerp, ring and follow Bruxelles centre.
* E411 from Namur, ring and follow Bruxelles centre

Description

Wikipedia:>
The Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and Military History (or simply the Royal Military Museum (RRM) is a museum that occupies the two northernmost halls of the historic complex in Cinquantenaire Park in Brussels, Belgium. The Dutch name is Koninklijk Museum van het Leger en de Krijgsgeschiedenis.
 

The building

In 1875, the Belgian architect Gideon Bordiau made a proposal to build flats on the site of an ancient marching ground of the Civil Guard.

The layout of the park was set in the suburbs of Etterbeek in 1888. Bordiau received the name of Cinquantenaire at that time in remembrance of the success of the Jubilee celebration of the independence of Belgium.

The construction of buildings, however, was put on hold in 1890 for lack of money and was eventually stopped by the death of the architect in 1904. Work resumed the following year under the direction of French architect Charles Girault and was completed with a new patron; King Leopold II. Arches that had already been planned were amended and expanded to meet the wishes of the King. The park is set on the continuation of the rue de la Loi / Wetstraat, which starts at the end of the Brussels Park before the royal palace.

A fire destroyed the south wing of the building in 1946.
 

Collection

The collection originally consisted of a set of exhibits collected by an officer, Louis Leconte. Approximately 900 pieces were brought together, the collection was later heavily enriched by legacies, gifts and exchanges. Leconte was particular in choosing from equipment abandoned by the Germans in 1918.

Today, it is possible to find uniforms, weapons, vehicles and military equipment of all ages and all countries.
 

Important developments include:

1980 — opening of the armour section
1986 — armour collection moved from the northernmost hall
1996 — opening of the marine section
 

Aviation hall

The North Hall hosts the permanent aviation exhibition.

The north wing, built by Gideon Bordiau, has been occupied by the aviation hall since 1972 when the Air and Space gallery was inaugurated.

The collection includes various types of aircraft, some dating back to the beginning of the twentieth century. The collection is one of the largest in the world.


Radiomuseum.org presents here one of the many museum pages. We try to bring data for your direct information about all that is relevant. In the list (link above right) you find the complete listing of museums related to "Radio & Co." we have information of. Please help us to be complete and up to date by using the contact form above.

[dsp_museum_detail.cfm]

  

Data Compliance More Information