aja: 5842; Need Electrolytic Cap values in can

ID: 311392
This article refers to the model: 5842 (AJA-Electronic, Grieshaber; Wolfach)

? aja: 5842; Need Electrolytic Cap values in can 
10.Feb.13 03:22

Thomas Ranz (USA)
Articles: 9
Count of Thanks: 9

Hi All:

I am working on a AJA 5842 without a schematic.  Can someone tell me the electrolytic cap values?  (I believe the can is a double).  I would need the voltages too and how to identify from under the chassis were each value goes- it would be nice if the two values were the same.

Thanks- Tom

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

50 + 50 
15.Feb.13 15:37
116 from 2015

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Articles: 533
Count of Thanks: 7
Emilio Ciardiello

Hi Thomas,

I might be wrong, but all similar models of German radios I have handled use a 50 + 50 microfarad capacitor, rated for 350 Vdc.

Emilio

aja: 5842; Need Electrolytic Cap values in can 
15.Feb.13 15:56
124 from 2015

Thomas Ranz (USA)
Count of Thanks: 5

I recall seeing on the electrolytic what looked like '50 uf' and later 350/350 but was not sure what it meant (the radio is not currently in my posession).  Based on your information I have to think 50 uf at 350 vdc both sections is correct.  I will try this when I get the radio back.

Thank You!  Tom Ranz

Correct 
15.Feb.13 17:35
133 from 2015

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Count of Thanks: 6
Emilio Ciardiello

Yes, you need a dual section capacitor, 50 uF per section, 350 V dc working voltage each section. It was the standard type in German radios during the fifties and the early sixties.

Emilio

aja: 5842 ... rectifier type ? 
15.Feb.13 19:19
144 from 2015

Thomas Ranz (USA)
Count of Thanks: 6

Great, I can replace the cap.  Let me ask, does this radio have a selenium or solid state rectifier?  None of the tubes I looked at appeared to be the typical rectifier configuration, I wish I had it in front of me now.

Thanks- Tom

Selenium rectifier 
15.Feb.13 21:29
154 from 2015

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Count of Thanks: 3
Emilio Ciardiello

Hi Thomas,

looking at the photos of the chassis, you can see the selenium bridge rectifier, a black AEG can on the left side. Even if the code is partially hidden, it should be a B250C75, 250 volts rms at 75 milliamps. If the first power-on of the radio is performed at reduced voltage for few minutes, in order to reform the rectifying barrier, the rectifier should operate fine. Else you can observe a considerable temperature increase, maybe the fuse blows, due to reverse currents.

Emilio

Selenium rectifier 
15.Feb.13 21:43
157 from 2015

Thomas Ranz (USA)
Count of Thanks: 4

I was wondering what that thing was... I've never seen one before.  I noticed it was connected to the cap(s) and assumed it was a dropping resistor or similar.  When I have the radio in my posession again I will replace the caps and bring the volts up slowly as you suggest and hope everything else is good- without a schematic it could be complicated.

Thank You very much for your help!

Tom Ranz