ID: 167167
blaupunkt: 2320; Sultan 
11.Jul.08 15:00

Paul E. Pinyot † 2013 (USA)
Articles: 187
Count of Thanks: 7
Paul E. Pinyot  † 2013

Good morning Gentlemen and any Ladies,

I am restoring a Blaupunkt Sultan 2320 today and have the alignment to do.   I managed to figure out the 460 khz IF adjustments and some of AM related adjustments.  But I am a bit lost on the FM adjustments.  The problem is my lack of German language skills.

Is there an English alignment translation or similar model that I may follow (primarily for the FM alignment)?   And how are the dial indicators to be mechanically aligned to the dial scale?  Where should they stop/start.

Also I found an EABC80 substitute to be a 6T8.  A Sam’s substitution guide lists the 6T8 as a substitute for the 6AK8.  So far the 6T8 is performing well.  Can any one confirm this tube as an acceptable substitute?

Thank you in advance,

Paul

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

12.Jul.08 08:02

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Articles: 431
Count of Thanks: 10
Omer Suleimanagich

Paul,

Don't even waste money for the EABC80 tube, go for the 6T8 or 6T8A.

They are amazing replacements!

There should be a Sams for that radio.  I imagine, if you go to EBay, you might find it. 

12.Jul.08 09:45

Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014 (D)
Articles: 2333
Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014

The explanation can be found in our tube page for the EABC80.

If there is no disturbing background hum the 6T8 is sufficient. That may depend on the individual tube and on the radio as well.
I would not recommend the 6T8 generally as a full replacement, but in practice it can work.

22.Jul.08 00:38

Paul E. Pinyot  † 2013

Thank you, gentlemen for the update.  I will plug along with the German alignment tonight.  I have the new set of tubes/valves installed. 
I have another question.  The eye tube seems to be modulated by the audio signal.  I have not seen this before.  I am hoping a proper alignment will stop this flickering.
Is this a circuit problem or intentional?
Thanks,
Paul Pinyot.
P.S.  Omer, where is your picture?

IF transformer repair (silver mica disease) 
02.Aug.08 04:39

Count of Thanks: 9
Paul E. Pinyot  † 2013

Gentlemen,

After a few hour of Burn-in the radio began to crackle and continued to progressively get worse.  Only on AM bands and is affected by the volume control.  The crackling was not heard on FM.

I decided to remove and dissect the IF transformers to replace the internal capacitors (150 and 250 pf).  I have put the picture story up on my web site.  

Once the bad wafers were removed and external caps installed the Eye tube no longer bounced with modulation and all the AM bands sensitivity, especially the Long Wave <350 kHz, increased dramatically.

I have created an article about IF Transformer Repair here with more repair details.  edited 12/12/08.   

The 6T8 works great.  No hum.

And it really was not bad to align this unit with the German alignment specs.  Between the 5088 and other radios it was easy.

The LW capacitors are a bit different.  A stub of thick gauge enamel coated wire with a thin wire spiraled around.   The LW band was fine do I did not mess with these caps.  

Also both Electrostatic tweeters were dead.  Comments and pictures of that repair are also on the web page.

Please enjoy and thanks again for all the help.

Paul

EE Feb 14, 2012: No link grave please, one was already dead, the other I have removed.

SAMS has been found 
10.Aug.08 09:46

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5746
Count of Thanks: 7
Ernst Erb

Dear Paul
At last could I get hold of the SAMS Photofact for your model. I will load it up (probably too late) on monday or tuesday.

Yes, would be fine if you could bring in your repair story - either on a separate thread posted from the model - or to this one. You can integrate some pictures. I see that in 2005 you have already dealt with integrated pictures - which is most welcome for such type of articles. Just take the most  instructive ones.

Please only publish links if there es a backlink on that very same page. I did not check. Can you please?

Thanks for the Sams! 
14.Feb.12 04:10
2718 from 6144

Count of Thanks: 6
Paul E. Pinyot  † 2013

I am using your Sams at this time.  Reading English is so much easier for me. 

Thanks again for all the help.

Paul