montgomery: 62-317; Tuned Circuit Count

ID: 182971
? montgomery: 62-317; Tuned Circuit Count 
05.Feb.09 16:13

Robin Roeckers (USA)
Articles: 54
Count of Thanks: 5
Robin Roeckers

I have taken classes in electronics and barely missed getting my 2nd class FCC license but that was in the early 1970s.

I'm trying to remember as much as possible and sometimes the explanations given here are a bit too technical for me to understand completely.

This radio, by my understanding, has 7 tuned circuits in the broadcast band with 3 in the tuning gang, two in the IF stage and 4 more in between the stages.  Am I close?

Robin

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Six tuned circuits 
05.Feb.09 16:44

Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014 (D)
Articles: 2333
Count of Thanks: 3
Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014

This radio has three continuously tuned circuits, RF input, RF interstage, oscillator.
Plus three fixed tuned circuits (to IF): There are two in an IF-band filter, plus a single IF circuit in front of the demodulator. This is just a step-up transformer, its secondary is not tuned, C15 is an IF grounding cap.

Should sum up to 6 tuned circuits.

agreed?
Regards,
KoBi

Seven tuned circuits 
05.Feb.09 17:21

Götz Linss † 27.06.21 (D)
Articles: 277
Count of Thanks: 4

Hello,

I count seven circuits too (sorry Konrad). Two IF transformers T-6 and T-7 plus the 3 RF circuits. On the Rider's 14-53 schematic C-15 is a 8µF electrolytic in the power supply..

Greetings Goetz

my error 
05.Feb.09 20:16

Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014 (D)
Articles: 2333
Count of Thanks: 4
Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014

Ooops, I got the wrong schematic: Riders Mont-Ward 14-63 instead of -53. The index is of poor printing and is easily misread. But I should have checked the page heading... my fault!

The correct one 14-53 shows of course 7 circuits: 2 RF, 1 osc, 2 Filters with 2 each = 7.

I am sorry (nobody is perfect...)
regards,
KoBi

05.Feb.09 20:16

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5745
Count of Thanks: 3
Ernst Erb

Konrad is very very seldom mistaken, but here .... Nice that we all create errors sometime.
Robin is right with 7 but I would say 3 like Konrad explained, followed by the "standard" two IF-band filter, which is getting 4 IF-circuits. Konrad is right that sometimes such circuits are only "one sided" and the other is a step-up transformer only (no L and C). Most often transitor radios have only that type.